Farther, Colder, Rougher
adventures in marathon swimming
Archive of posts tagged 'data'
2010 Feb 2:
One Hour Postal Swim
- Report on 2010 USMS one-hour postal swim - swim as far as you can in 60 minutes. I finished with 5265 yards.
2010 Aug 15:
Elite vs. Masters in the open water
- What do the split times in loop races tell us about the differences between elite and amateur open-water swims?
2010 Aug 24:
Big Shoulders stats: Stormy, Husky, Brawling
- Analysis of 12 years of data from the Big Shoulders Open Water Swim in Chicago.
2010 Aug 26:
Pan Pacs: The story of the splits
- Analyzing the splits from the Pan Pacific 10K Championships, and finding gender differences in racing tactics.
2010 Sep 2:
2010 training totals through August
- Reviewing my monthly training totals and consistency.
2011 Jan 16:
MIMS finishing times: 1982-2010
- A chart displaying every Manhattan solo swim since 1982.
2011 Jan 17:
MIMS finishing times: Men vs. Women
- The average female MIMS finisher was faster than the average male in about 80% of the events.
2011 Feb 4:
Fun Google tricks
- Using Google as a distance and speed calculator for swimming.
2011 Feb 16:
On training logs, and a 2010 retrospective
- An annotated chart of last year's training volume.
2011 Apr 14:
Swimming vs. Tide Surfing around Manhattan
- Thoughts on the effect of tides on Manhattan circumnavigation times. "Record attempt" tides vs. MIMS tides.
2011 Apr 16:
The fastest swims around Manhattan
- Comparing two methods of ranking the fastest MIMS swims - by simple time vs. lead over the field.
2011 Nov 3:
Catalina Channel data analysis
2012 Mar 4:
Water temperature in the Catalina Channel
- Trends in sea temp over 14 years of NOAA data from the channel.
2012 Dec 18:
Google Trends and open water swimming
- Insights about open-water swimming from Google search query data.
2013 Mar 27:
A better SWOLF formula
- Investigating the question of whether to use stroke cycles or strokes in the SWOLF calculation. Looking at real-world data from three swimmers.
2014 Jun 23:
Information Wants to be Free: Sandettie Lightship and the English Channel
- 10 years of English Channel weather data, in a single CSV file. And some fun charts.
2015 Apr 8:
The warmest winter on record in San Francisco Bay
- Crunching the data from the local NOAA buoy.
2016 Jan 21:
Visualizing the tides of San Francisco Bay
- Why is the lowest high tide always higher than the highest low tide?