Farther, Colder, Rougher
adventures in marathon swimming
Archive of posts in category 'tips'
2011 Sep 22:
A marathon swim checklist
- Packing list and suggested products for marathon swims. Basic essentials, nutrition, discomfort maintenance, communication, and other gear.
2011 Sep 26:
In Deep Water
- On fear of swimming in deep water, and how to deal with it.
2011 Oct 30:
Calories burned vs. calories consumed
- Do not attempt to equalize energy consumption and expenditure. Digestion rate is limited.
2011 Nov 30:
Adventures in pool etiquette (Masters edition)
- Don't be "that guy." When joining a new team, it is your responsibility to observe the prevailing norms, which may be different from what you're accustomed to.
2012 Jan 22:
Marathon Swimming Nutrition: Art vs. Science
- Drink some carbs. Not too much. Some carbs are better than others.
2012 Jan 29:
Marathon Swimming Nutrition: Do it yourself
- An afforable and customizable alernative to brand-name endurance sports drinks. Buy unflavored (or even bulk) maltodextrin, and add your own flavoring.
2012 Apr 29:
Sharks Live in the Ocean
- How do open water swimmers deal with the risk of shark attacks?