Farther, Colder, Rougher
adventures in marathon swimming
Archive of posts in category 'rules/standards/best practices'
2013 Feb 28:
Marathon Swimming Rules Survey: Results and Analysis
2013 Apr 1:
SBCSA announces drug-testing for marathon swims
- Just finished a channel swim? Be prepared to pee in a cup.
2013 Apr 3:
Reactions to the Marathon Swimming Rules Survey
2014 Apr 25:
There's No Such Thing as a World Record in Open Water Swimming
- Like triathlon and ultra-running, open-water swimming has 'course records'. World record claims are typically attempts at self-promotion.
2015 Jun 3:
Swim Route vs. Swim Track
- A basic principle of marathon swimming - The official distance is the length of the route, not the length of the track.
2015 Jun 4:
Measuring Non-Straight-Line Swim Routes
- The distance of a marathon swim is the shortest swimmable path between theh start and finish, using fixed land features to define the waypoints.
2015 Jun 23:
Standardized Swims and Routes
- How to standardized routes develop in marathon swimming. An analysis with case studies.
2017 Jul 6:
Natural Routes vs. Artificial Routes
- The distinction between natural routes (defined by permanent land features) and artificial routes (such as buoy courses). Implications for categorizing marathon swims and distance records.