Farther, Colder, Rougher
Archive of posts
in category 'knowledge base'
2011 Mar 8:
- For easy conversion of short-course yards, long-course meters, and open water swimming.
An Open Water Swimming Pace Table
2011 May 21:
- Mixing a generic equivalent to Hammer Perpetuem for 1/3 the cost.
On Recovery Drinks: a DIY recipe
2011 Sep 22:
- Packing list and suggested products for marathon swims. Basic essentials, nutrition, discomfort maintenance, communication, and other gear.
A marathon swim checklist
2011 Oct 20:
- Comparing two well-known brands of unflavored maltodextrin energy drink mix.
On Maltodextrin: Maxim vs. Carbo Pro
2012 Jan 22:
- Drink some carbs. Not too much. Some carbs are better than others.
Marathon Swimming Nutrition: Art vs. Science
2012 Jan 23:
- Osmolality affects how quickly you can digest calories. This is the main reason maltodextrin-based drinks are preferable to simple sugars.
Marathon Swimming Nutrition: Osmolality and why it matters
2012 Jan 27:
- Overview of ingredients, cost, and flavor of endurance sports drinks from Hammer, GU, Amino Vital, Cytomax, 1st Endurance, and Generation UCAN.
Marathon Swimming Nutrition: A product comparison
2012 Jan 29:
- An afforable and customizable alernative to brand-name endurance sports drinks. Buy unflavored (or even bulk) maltodextrin, and add your own flavoring.
Marathon Swimming Nutrition: Do it yourself
2012 Jul 25:
- There are **80 possible swims** between and around the eight Channel Islands and the U.S. mainland. Only 11 of those have been conquered by solo swimmers.
Virgin Waters: Distances between and around the Channel Islands and the U.S. Mainland
2012 Aug 22:
- What does it mean to be 'aware' of your surroundings in a lap swimming pool?
Advanced Pool Etiquette for Masters Swimmers, Lesson 1: Awareness
2012 Aug 28:
- If you leave 5 seconds apart with only one other person in your lane, you're probably doing it wrong.
Advanced Pool Etiquette for Masters Swimmers, Lesson 2: Personal Space
2016 Apr 14:
- Comparative analysis of different marathon swim observer report formats.
Varieties of Observer Logs
2016 May 19:
- Packing list and recommended products for observing marathon open-water swims.
The Observer's Toolkit
2017 Apr 24:
- A minimally-technical, practical overview of current GPS tracking technology, with a focus on open-water swimming. Recommended smartphone apps, GPS watches, and satellite messengers.
GPS Tracking for Open Water Swimming