Archive of posts
in category 'commentary'
2010 Mar 18:
There (should be) no running in swimming
- In which I argue that non-triathlon open-water swim races should not involve running at the start and/or finish.
2011 May 10:
Must one be a Fast swimmer to be a Great swimmer?
- Thoughts on the diverse basis of "greatness" in marathon swimming.
2011 Sep 7:
On wetsuits in marathon swimming
- Thoughts on Scott Zornig's editorial criticizing the use of wetsuits on marathon swims and misleading claims in the media.
2011 Sep 9:
Follow-up on wetsuits
- More thoughts and a few clarifications on my position on the use of wetsuits in marathon swimming.
2011 Sep 12:
A final word on wetsuits (in marathon swimming)
- Final thoughts on wetsuits in marathon swimming, and a review of some other voices in the debate.
2011 Nov 30:
Adventures in pool etiquette (Masters edition)
- Don't be "that guy." When joining a new team, it is your responsibility to observe the prevailing norms, which may be different from what you're accustomed to.
2011 Dec 22:
The Freshies: My 9 favorite open-water happenings of 2011
2012 Feb 7:
Letters from Connie: There Is No Perfect Stroke
- Appreciating the variations in how humans adapt their bodies to the water.
2012 Mar 31:
Very Important Announcement
2012 Apr 18:
Letters from Connie: Why?
- What motivates people to swim long distances in open waters?
2012 Apr 29:
Sharks Live in the Ocean
- How do open water swimmers deal with the risk of shark attacks?
2012 Aug 16:
Menaces to (swim) society: How to be a pool asshole
- The Top 10 Petty Annoyances of Organized Pool Swimming.
2013 Feb 11:
Take the marathon swimming rules survey
- Investigating community opinion among marathon swimmers about which rules are most fundamental.
2013 Feb 23:
The only three things that matter in channel swimming
- Health, will, and money. i.e., not swimming skill or speed.
2013 Mar 10:
Same Water, Different Worlds: A tale of two swims in San Francisco Bay
- Cathy Delneo swims from McCovey Cove to Kirby Cove - 8.7 miles in 51-degree San Francisco Bay.
2013 Apr 3:
Reactions to the Marathon Swimming Rules Survey
2013 Nov 21:
Suit, cap, goggles: That's all you really need.
- Some old-school swim gear on display at SERC inspires a few thoughts.
2014 Apr 17:
Farallones: The toughest marathon swim in the world?
- Overview of the iconic cold-water marathon swim between the Farallon Islands and San Francisco.
2014 Apr 25:
There's No Such Thing as a World Record in Open Water Swimming
- Like triathlon and ultra-running, open-water swimming has 'course records'. World record claims are typically attempts at self-promotion.
2015 May 13:
Making Independent Swims Count
- What can swimmers do to increase the credibility of swims in bodies of water not governed by an existing organization? Introducing MSF Documented Swims.
2015 May 27:
Top 10 DNF excuses you never hear