Farther, Colder, Rougher
adventures in marathon swimming
Archive of posts from 2015
2015 Mar 15:
Dead Fish Swims
- A humorous term for current-assisted swims. Swims that even a dead fish could finish.
2015 Mar 20:
The top 10 most CONTROVERSIAL threads at the Marathon Swimmers Forum
2015 Apr 8:
The warmest winter on record in San Francisco Bay
- Crunching the data from the local NOAA buoy.
2015 May 13:
Making Independent Swims Count
- What can swimmers do to increase the credibility of swims in bodies of water not governed by an existing organization? Introducing MSF Documented Swims.
2015 May 27:
Top 10 DNF excuses you never hear
2015 Jun 3:
Swim Route vs. Swim Track
- A basic principle of marathon swimming - The official distance is the length of the route, not the length of the track.
2015 Jun 4:
Measuring Non-Straight-Line Swim Routes
- The distance of a marathon swim is the shortest swimmable path between theh start and finish, using fixed land features to define the waypoints.
2015 Jun 23:
Standardized Swims and Routes
- How to standardized routes develop in marathon swimming. An analysis with case studies.
2015 Jul 10:
Round-Trip Angel Island: A Devil of a Swim
- Overview and history of a challenging 10-mile cross-current swim in San Francisco.
2015 Jul 16:
Round Trip Angel Island: Observer Log
- Report of Evan Morrison's solo Round Trip Angel Island swim in July 2015.