Farther, Colder, Rougher
Archive of posts
2011 Jan 3:
- Meeting up with Rob D for a swim in Santa Barbara.
Back to Reality
2011 Jan 5:
- On Terry Laughlin's minimalist approach to training for marathon swims.
Minimalist or high-volume training for marathon swims?
2011 Jan 8:
- An interview with Olympian Mark Warkentin about the usefulness of pull buoys in swim training.
On pull buoys
2011 Jan 16:
- A chart displaying every Manhattan solo swim since 1982.
MIMS finishing times: 1982-2010
2011 Jan 17:
- The average female MIMS finisher was faster than the average male in about 80% of the events.
MIMS finishing times: Men vs. Women
2011 Jan 26:
- A famously hard 3500-yard pool set.
The Fishburn Set
2011 Feb 2:
After the snowpocalypse
2011 Feb 4:
- Using Google as a distance and speed calculator for swimming.
Fun Google tricks
2011 Feb 11:
- An example 33,000-yard week of pool training.
A good week
2011 Feb 12:
The joys of short course
2011 Feb 16:
- An annotated chart of last year's training volume.
On training logs, and a 2010 retrospective
2011 Feb 21:
- The surprising usefulness of oversized analog clocks for swim training.
Do you need a swim watch when you have a pace clock?
2011 Feb 22:
Review: Oregon Scientific Swim Watch
2011 Feb 27:
- Some swimmers have moments of revelation when they identify - in a powerful and lasting way - with the experience of being in open water. Featuring Lynne Cox, Penny Dean, and Mark Warkentin.
2011 Mar 3:
- A photo album of Promontory Point, Chicago.
Fall at the Point
2011 Mar 7:
- A 25,000-meter pool set in 6 hours, 15 minutes. My last long swim before the Tampa Bay Marathon Swim.
The Pyramid of Death - a 25km pool set
2011 Mar 8:
- For easy conversion of short-course yards, long-course meters, and open water swimming.
An Open Water Swimming Pace Table
2011 Mar 12:
- Shooting some video of my stroke technique, and some analysis of what I see.
Adventures in video analysis
2011 Mar 20:
- The Tampa Bay Marathon Swim is harder than commonly understood. Only a 53% success rate since 1999!
Don't underestimate Tampa
2011 Mar 24:
- Medicine ball exercises for the pool.
2011 Mar 28:
- Comprehensive review of FINIS' new Swimsense swim watch and web app.
Review: FINIS Swimsense Performance Monitor
2011 Mar 31:
- Swimming from Chicago to New York City via the Great Lakes, Erie Canal, and Hudson River.
Four Lakes, Three Rivers, and a Canal
2011 Apr 5:
- Thoughts on efficient swimming, and what to do when you don't "feel good" in a workout.
On fighting the water
2011 Apr 11:
- Report on my second visit to the Swim Miami 10K. Better in every respect (pacing, execution, nutrition, and speed) than the first time.
Race Report: Swim Miami 2011
2011 Apr 14:
- Thoughts on the effect of tides on Manhattan circumnavigation times. "Record attempt" tides vs. MIMS tides.
Swimming vs. Tide Surfing around Manhattan
2011 Apr 16:
- Comparing two methods of ranking the fastest MIMS swims - by simple time vs. lead over the field.
The fastest swims around Manhattan
2011 Apr 19:
- Tips on distracting oneself from the drudgery of endurance training.
How to stay motivated for distant goals
2011 Apr 27:
Race Report: Tampa Bay Marathon Swim
2011 May 4:
- An improvisational workout for when you get to pool and don't have a plan.
The Kitchen Sink Set
2011 May 10:
- Thoughts on the diverse basis of "greatness" in marathon swimming.
Must one be a Fast swimmer to be a Great swimmer?
2011 May 21:
- Mixing a generic equivalent to Hammer Perpetuem for 1/3 the cost.
On Recovery Drinks: a DIY recipe
2011 May 29:
- Tips on taking a Circle Line cruise around Manhattan
Riding the Circle Line as a MIMS preview
2011 Jun 1:
- Previewing a small portion (1.6 miles) of the MIMS course.
Race Report: Great Hudson River Swim
2011 Jun 6:
- Joining Asheville Masters for an open-water swimming clinic.
2011 Jun 9:
- MIMS times are usually affected more by the speed of the river currents than the speed of the swimmer.
Swimming around Manhattan, tides are (almost) everything
2011 Jun 23:
- Photos of the top seeds in the 2011 Manhattan Island Marathon Swim jumping into the water to begin the swim.
2011 Jul 7:
Race Report: Manhattan Island Marathon Swim
2011 Jul 17:
MIMS GPS analysis: Three rivers, Three races
2011 Jul 20:
- On the usefulness of pool training for open water swimming.
In praise of the pool
2011 Aug 20:
- Getting some practice swimming in the Catalina Channel as a pace swimmer.
Crewing for Cliff
2011 Sep 7:
- Thoughts on Scott Zornig's editorial criticizing the use of wetsuits on marathon swims and misleading claims in the media.
On wetsuits in marathon swimming
2011 Sep 9:
- More thoughts and a few clarifications on my position on the use of wetsuits in marathon swimming.
Follow-up on wetsuits
2011 Sep 12:
- Final thoughts on wetsuits in marathon swimming, and a review of some other voices in the debate.
A final word on wetsuits (in marathon swimming)
2011 Sep 15:
- Over-training is a very real risk in marathon swimming. Some thoughts on how to diagnose it.
2011 Sep 22:
- Packing list and suggested products for marathon swims. Basic essentials, nutrition, discomfort maintenance, communication, and other gear.
A marathon swim checklist
2011 Sep 26:
- On fear of swimming in deep water, and how to deal with it.
In Deep Water
2011 Oct 5:
Race Report: Ederle Swim
2011 Oct 20:
- Comparing two well-known brands of unflavored maltodextrin energy drink mix.
On Maltodextrin: Maxim vs. Carbo Pro
2011 Oct 22:
- What are the interesting questions about exercise physiology and nutrition in open water swimming?
On science in marathon swimming
2011 Oct 29:
- Assumptions about energy consumption in swimming are different than those for running. Potential efficiency gains are much greater in swimming.
Swim efficiency and energy consumption
2011 Oct 30:
- Do not attempt to equalize energy consumption and expenditure. Digestion rate is limited.
Calories burned vs. calories consumed
2011 Nov 3:
Catalina Channel data analysis
2011 Nov 15:
- A medical doctor tackles marathon swimming nutrition. Peter Attia's essay "Swimming in the ICU."
On Peter Attia's nutrition webinar
2011 Nov 18:
- Overview of a beautiful 1-mile route between Goleta pier and Campus Point near U.C. Santa Barbara.
Swimming with the Ocean Ducks at Goleta Beach
2011 Nov 29:
- Backstroke can be nearly as fast as front-crawl, and can provide some relief from shoulder fatigue during a marathon swim.
In praise of backstroke
2011 Nov 30:
- Don't be "that guy." When joining a new team, it is your responsibility to observe the prevailing norms, which may be different from what you're accustomed to.
Adventures in pool etiquette (Masters edition)
2011 Dec 4:
- My Catalina swim is officially sanctioned; joining the Santa Barbara Channel Swimming Association board.
Banquet day in San Pedro: Celebrating a big season of California channel swimming
2011 Dec 6:
- I complete a solo swim of the Catalina Channel. 8 hours, 55 minutes on August 25, 2011.
Swim Report: Catalina Channel
2011 Dec 17:
- Thoughts on Peter Attia's endorsement of low-carb diets for marathon swimmers.
Marathon swimming and low-carbohydrate diets
2011 Dec 22:
The Freshies: My 9 favorite open-water happenings of 2011
2011 Dec 26:
- Surprising affinities between two very different sports.
Mountaineering or Marathon Swimming?