Archive of posts
2010 Feb 1:
A blog about swimming
- My first blog post
2010 Feb 2:
One Hour Postal Swim
- Report on 2010 USMS one-hour postal swim - swim as far as you can in 60 minutes. I finished with 5265 yards.
2010 Mar 18:
There (should be) no running in swimming
- In which I argue that non-triathlon open-water swim races should not involve running at the start and/or finish.
2010 Apr 9:
Strength training for open-water swimming
- A simple program of strength/resistance training for open water swimming.
2010 Apr 12:
Strength training and swimming: Things to consider
- Follow-up thoughts on my strength training suggestions.
2010 Apr 15:
Readying to rumble
- My workout plan for the week before my 10K target swim.
2010 Apr 16:
Increase effortlessness, not effort
- On the distinction between swimming faster with more effort, and swimming the same pace with less effort.
2010 Apr 21:
Race Report - Swim Miami 2010
- Report on my first 10K open water swim, in which I race (and get smoked by) US National Team members, and learn important lessons about pacing.
2010 May 19:
The meet warm-up: Preparing to swim fast
- Suggestions on warming up before a swim meet.
2010 May 23:
USMS Nationals Recap
- Report on USMS short-course winter nationals, held in the former Olympic pool in Atlanta.
2010 Jun 1:
Race Report: USMS 1-mile Champs (Huntersville, NC)
- The first USMS open-water championship of the year. I am first in my age group.
2010 Jun 3:
Back in the saddle
- An example week of pool training
2010 Jun 5:
Interviews with Rich Abrahams and Mark Warkentin
- Training wisdom from an elite Masters swimmer and an open-water Olympian
2010 Jun 9:
Race Report: USMS 1.5-mile Open-Water Champs (Livermore, CA)
- The second USMS open-water national championship of the year, in Lake Del Valle, Livermore, CA. I am 5th overall and 3rd in my age-group.
2010 Jun 17:
Cycles of work and recovery: Thoughts on periodization
- How I periodize my training to optimize week-end performance.
2010 Jun 20:
Race Report: USMS 6K Open-Water Champs (Windsor, CO)
- The 3rd USMS open-water national championship of the year, in an unnamed golf course lake in Colorado. I am 3rd overall and 1st in my age group.
2010 Jul 11:
Race Report: USMS 2-mile Cable Championship (Charlottesville, VA)
- The 4th USMS open-water national championship of the year - the famous Chris Greene Lake cable swim. I am 6th overall and 1st in my age-group.
2010 Jul 18:
Race Report: USMS 10K Championship (Noblesville, IN)
- The 5th USMS open-water national championship of 2010, and my 2nd 10K. I am 8th overall and 2nd in my age-group, in a time of 2:17.
2010 Aug 6:
Report: Cascade Lakes Swim Series (Elk Lake, OR)
- Visiting Central Oregon's famous 3-day open-water swimming festival at Elk Lake.
2010 Aug 14:
- How fast could you swim if you had to swim all day?
2010 Aug 15:
Elite vs. Masters in the open water
- What do the split times in loop races tell us about the differences between elite and amateur open-water swims?
2010 Aug 22:
Race Report: Madison Open-Water Swim
- A 2.4-mile race in Lake Monona, Madison, Wisconsin.
2010 Aug 24:
Big Shoulders stats: Stormy, Husky, Brawling
- Analysis of 12 years of data from the Big Shoulders Open Water Swim in Chicago.
2010 Aug 26:
Pan Pacs: The story of the splits
- Analyzing the splits from the Pan Pacific 10K Championships, and finding gender differences in racing tactics.
2010 Aug 28:
Report: USMS 5K Postal Championship
- 5,000 meters in a 50m pool in 1 hours, 5 minutes.
2010 Sep 2:
2010 training totals through August
- Reviewing my monthly training totals and consistency.
2010 Sep 4:
Race Report: USMS 10K Postal Championship
- 10,000 meters in a 50m pool in 2 hours, 17 minutes.
2010 Sep 7:
Embracing the cold
- Exploring sub-60-degree swimming in Lake Michigan.
2010 Sep 13:
Race Report: Big Shoulders 5K (Chicago, IL)
- My second Big Shoulders 5K swim in Chicago - colder, stormier, and with new friend Rob D.
2010 Sep 17:
Swimming at Chicago’s Promontory Point
- Overview of Chicago's best open-water swimming venue, Promontory Point.
2010 Sep 28:
Race Report: Diamond Lake Open Water Challenge (Cassopolis, MI)
- An idiosyncratic 10K swim in Diamond Lake, Michigan.
2010 Oct 2:
Report: MIMS Qualifying Swim
- Four-hour, 60-degree swim in Lake Michigan at Promontory Point - qualifier for entering the Manhattan Island Marathon Swim.
2010 Oct 9:
The Swimmer and the Sea
- Cool photo as I contemplate swimming in Lake Michigan.
2010 Oct 10:
Kayak Escort Practice Swim
- A two-hour kayak-escorted swim in Lake Michigan on the north side of Chicago.
2010 Oct 19:
Race Report: Little Red Lighthouse Swim (New York, NY)
- Current-assisted 10K in the Hudson River off the Upper West Side of Manhattan.
2010 Oct 21:
Race Report: Swim the Suck (Chattanooga, TN)
- Report on the First Annual Swim the Suck (2010) - a 10-mile swim down the Tennessee River in Chattanooga. I place 2nd overall.
2010 Oct 22:
2010 Open Water Season in Review
- 12 U.S. states, 17 races, 57.4 racing miles - an overview of some of my favorite experiences.
2010 Oct 25:
Post-race blues and Where do we go from here?
- Recovering from 2010 and planning for 2011.
2010 Nov 16:
Lift before swim, or swim before lift?
- Thoughts on combining swimming and weight training.
2010 Dec 2:
Ederle’s timeless advice